In 2022, who are the richest owners of NFL teams? In the NFL, 32 teams compete for a Super Bowl championship each year. It is not an easy task to become the owner of an NFL team. To buy and run an NFL franchise, one needs a lot of zeros in their net worth.
Rob Walton, a former Walmart chairman, purchased the Denver Broncos, the most recent franchise to go on sale. He presently remains as the most extravagant NFL group proprietor in 2022.
Let’s take a look at the top ten richest NFL owners in 2022 to learn more about how much money goes into team ownership.
When Rob Walton purchased the Denver Broncos in 2022 for $4.65 billion, he became the richest owner of an NFL team. He is the 18th richest person in the world and owns the retail chain Walmart.
The Walton-Penner ownership group, which includes limited partners Mellody Hobson, Condoleezza Rice, and Lewis Hamilton, is the owner of the team and is led by Rob Walton, Greg Penner, and Carrie Walton-Penner.
The Seattle Seahawks were purchased by Paul Allen in 1997 for $194 million. Until 2021, he was the richest owner of an NFL team.In addition, Allen and Bill Gates co-founded Microsoft, owned the Portland Trail Blazers, and he had a stake in the Seattle Sounders. He passed away in 2018, and the Seahawks are currently led by his sister, Jody Allen.
In 2018, the Carolina Panthers were purchased by David Tepper for $2.3 billion. He ranks among the generation’s most successful hedge fund managers. He started Appaloosa Management in 1993 after serving as head of the junk bond desk at Goldman Sachs. His multifaceted investments firm oversees around $13 billion. He moved his business to New Jersey in 2016 and bought the Carolina Panthers in 2018. He has a $18.5 billion net worth.
In 1989, the Dallas Cowboys were purchased by Jerry Jones for a record-breaking $150 million. Jones is an independent billionaire whose first million came from investments in oil in the 1970s.In addition to drilling investments, he has established himself in Dallas’ retail and residential real estate projects.
In 1959, Lamar Hunt established the Kansas City Chiefs. Clark Hunt, Lamar’s son, became a chairman of the franchise in 2005. Hunt’s family is one of America’s wealthiest, and they have contributed to the NFL’s success. Oil and gas, real estate, and other businesses belonging to the Hunt family. Additionally, they hold stakes in the Chicago Bulls and own FC Dallas.
In 1995, real estate magnate Stan Kroenke purchased 30% stakes in the Los Angeles Rams. He increased it to 40% two years later, and in 2010, he paid $750 million for the remaining 60% of the Rams. He also owns the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, Colorado Rapids, and England’s Arsenal Football Club, among other sports teams.
Since 2008, the Miami Dolphins have been owned by Stephen Ross. Prior to starting Related Companies in 1972, he worked as a tax attorney. Worldwide, Related Companies have developed or acquired properties worth $60 billion. Additionally, he owns stakes in numerous restaurant chains, including SoulCycle and Equinox Fitness. He has $11.6 billion in total net worth.
In 2011, Shahid Khan paid $770 million to Wayne Weaver to acquire the Jacksonville Jaguars. He is a Pakistani-American money manager and the proprietor of Illinois-based Flex-N-Entryway, a car parts provider, that he purchased in 1980. Over 26,000 people work for his company in over 69 locations worldwide.
In 1992, the New England Patriots were purchased by Robert Kraft for $172 million. The Patriots are worth $6.4 billion and have won six Super Bowls under Tom Brady’s leadership. Before starting his own paper and packaging company, Kraft sold newspapers outside of the Boston Braves Stadium.
He has a net worth of $10.6 billion and has pledged $20 million to combat antisemitism and hate crimes in 2019.
In 2002, Arthur Blank paid $545 million to acquire the Atlanta Falcons. The Falcons are currently worth $4 billion. Home Depot was founded in 1978 by Blank and two other people after he was fired from a local hardware store.
In 2001, when he left his position as chairman, he planned to buy the Atlanta Falcons. Additionally, he owns Atlanta United FC, a Major League Soccer team. Arthur Blank has a net worth of $7.5 billion, and in 2012, he said that he would donate more than half of his wealth to charity.