To say this is the key game at this Association of Nations meeting would be an understatement. On the off chance that Britain neglect to win, they will be relegated to Association B, while on the off chance that Italy overcome they will also be threatened with relegation.
None of the groups were in their best structure this year. Italy beat Hungary in June but lost 5-2 against Germany in the final round of the mid-year.
Neither group went into this game in extraordinary shape, but given Italy’s home advantage, the title of favorite is most likely protected.
Britain can beat any group on their day, but Italy has proved to be an intruder side for the Three Lions of late. While Southgate’s men will be expecting a rise in fortunes ahead of the World Cup, it’s hard to imagine their revival starting here.
Narrow home success for Italy is expected.
Prediction: Italy 1-0 Britain
Italy vs Britain Head to Head
- Britain’s 4-0 loss to Hungary was the most threatening of Gareth Southgate’s reign as administrator. His group is currently on a four-game winless run, also their worst run under Southgate.
- Italy’s last four games with Britain have all ended in draws, including the last at last summer’s Euro 2020, which the Azzurri won on penalties.
- Italy has never lost a clean sheet at home to Great Britain and their last meeting came in 1998 in a World Cup qualifier which ended goallessly. Britain beat the Azzurri on their own soil, but only in a friendly.
- Italy has won just three of their next 11 matches since winning Euro 2020, while Britain has won five of their next ten.
- Only two players scored for Britain in aggressive matches against Italy in the early 1990s – Daniel Sturridge and Luke Shaw.
Donnarumma; Di Lorenzo, Bastoni, Bonucci, Emerson; Barella, Tonali, Jorginho; Gnonto, stationary, Grifo
Ramsdale; James, Tomori, Maguire; Trippier, Rice, Bellingham, Chilwell; Authentic, Kane, Foden
Italy vs Britain betting tips
- Tip 1: Result: Italy won
- Tip 2: The game must be under 2.5 goals – YES (Italy v England games are notoriously low scoring and they drew goalless in June.)
- Tip 3: Britain neglect to score – YES (Italy have kept a clean sheet against Britain in three of their last five serious meetings.)
Where to watch
The UEFA Nations League match between Italy and Great Britain will be broadcast live on Sony TEN 2 and Sony TEN 2 HD in India. Live streaming of the match in India will be available on SonyLIV and JioTV